Hey this is my first tutorial but I hope it helps
Moving Ladder without script
This tutorial aims to show how to make a ladder come down without using scripts.
1) Make a x=384 y=384 z=256 box room, with a platform half way up, a light and a player start
2) Make a ladder with cylinders, using any texture you want, and place it next to the platform
3) Select all the parts, go to the entity window, select func_door from the list and click create. This turns it into a door. Move it up so it is out of the reach of the player, and add these key/val pairs:
4) Creat a brush the same size as the ladder. Then put the grid to 1, and make the front of the brush (the side the player will climb) 1 unit infront of the ladder. This is so when it comes down you can still climb the ladder.
5) Give this brush the ladder texture and bind it to the ladder.
6) Make a func static with the model models/mapobjects/guiobjects/techdrpanel1/techdrpanel1.lwo
and with the gui
and place it on a wall near the ladder.
Deselect everything, then select the panel followed by the ladder and press Shift + k. This then targets the panel at the ladder.
7) Save and compile the map. Then run it. At first the player cant reach the ladder.
But then you press the button on the panel, and the ladder comes down.
And then you can climb up it!
anyone got any comments?
Yes, that's a very smart way of doing things. I wouldn't have come up with that. Nice find!
I wouldn't have suspected that sort of thing would work. I thought things like ladder brushes were inherently static.