dukedoom@Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:32 pm :
Trying to get the hang of loading exported ASE models from blender.

I've modeled a simple light switch, assigned a basic material, and uv unwrapped it. I created a raw tga file and just painted random colors in the uv view. I then used the ASE exporter found at http://code.google.com/p/ase-export-vmc/ . I'm using blender 2.63 on linux. No errors or warnings on the export.

My layout looks like:
  |-- maps
  |   `-- guidoor.map
  |-- materials
  |   `-- mine.mtr
  |-- models
  |   `-- light_switch.ase
  `-- textures
      |-- light_switch.tga
      |-- light_switch_local.tga
      `-- light_switch_s.tga

I've replaced the *BITMAP line in light_switch.ase with:
*BITMAP "\\base\textures\light_switch.tga"

My MTR file:
textures/light_switch {
    qer_editorimage textures/light_switch.tga
    bumpmap textures/light_switch_local.tga
    diffusemap textures/light_switch.tga
    specularmap textures/light_switch_s.tga

The normal map is just a 128x128 TGA set to 128, 128, 255.
The specular is just a 128x128 TGA set to 0, 0, 0.

The model loads fine in darkradiant (1.7.2 x64). When I compile the map I get no errors and it says:

loaded collision model models/light_switch.ase

But, I don't see the model when the map loads.

simulation@Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 pm :
I think material files have to be mtr, not mtl.

dukedoom@Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:04 pm :
simulation wrote:
I think material files have to be mtr, not mtl.

Correct. That was a typo. The file is actually mine.mtr on the drive. I've edited my original post. Thanks!

Any other suggestions? I got this far by reading iddevnet and kat's tutorials. One thing I did not do is create smooth groups for the model. Is that required?

BloodRayne@Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:14 pm :
*BITMAP "//base/textures/light_switch.tga"

should be backspaces instead of forwards.

eg: \\base\textures\common\nodraw

dukedoom@Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:12 am :
BloodRayne wrote:
*BITMAP "//base/textures/light_switch.tga"

should be backspaces instead of forwards.

eg: \\base\textures\common\nodraw

Fixed, but still not visible in the game. I tried setting r_showTris just for the hell of it but still nothing was visible.

One thing I noticed in darkradiant, if I switch to lighted preview in the 3d view, the switch model dissapears. From loading other .ase models (caves1_6b.ase, for instance), darkradiant seems to cull back faces in both fullbright texture and lighting preview modes. So I don't think the normals on my model are backwards else it would not be visible in either fullbright or lighting mode. Right? So what does that leave? Fubar .tga textures?


Well I made a small bit of progress, I had saved the .tga out of blender as Targa Raw instead of Targa RGBA. It now show up in darkradiant in lighted preview mode but *still* isn't visible in the game. I tried commenting out the spec and bump in the .mtr file too. According to iddevnet the engine should create a default flat bumpmap and turn spec off.

The Happy Friar@Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:38 am :
The .ase requires the material file name not the texture name. TGA's should be plain RGB, not RAW. I'm using 2.49 but shouldn't make a difference.

*BITMAP "//base/textures/items/health/armor01"

And the material file:
         qer_editorimage   models/items/armor/armor01.tga
   diffusemap     models/items/armor/armor01.tga

dukedoom@Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:27 am :
I finally got it to show, but I'm not 100% sure how I did it. I started over with a cube and got that to load. I think it has to do with one or two of the ASE py script export options.

* Use Submaterials (UDK)
* Allow Multiple Materials (UDK)

I unchecked these before exporting and the final .ase had *BITMAP path filled in already. But I was also trying different Targa save options, Raw, RGB, RGBA, etc.

TheHappyFriar, I tried pointing to a renamed light_switch.mtr like you suggested but got a black hole in the wall where the switch was supposed to be. I'll keep it in mind as I continue my experimentation though.

Thanks for the hints/suggestions people. At least I've got a feedback loop working now.

Dingo_aus@Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:05 am :
I had the same problem, the correction was to turn off all the options in the ASE exporter.